Jew-ish.com covered the open application of this program, WIJC’ers may know young people interested in international service learning.
JDC’s Jewish Service Corps (JSC) offers young Jews the opportunity to directly engage with JDC’s global mission and actively fulfill the value of Jewish responsibility through a year-long, paid, service opportunity connected to JDC’s overseas programs.
In addition to yearlong placements, JDC recently launched 8-10 week Jewish Service Corps opportunities. We currently offer placements in Argentina and are looking to expand the program to include more locations in the coming months. JDC will help find housing in a secure location, and connect the volunteer with local programs; however, volunteers are responsible for their own expenses.
JDC Fellows are catalysts for change, creating innovative programs that respond to pressing Jewish and humanitarian challenges around the world while exploring Jewish values underlying their service.JDC offers placements in Israel, the overseas Diaspora Jewish communities, and countries where JDC has non-sectarian projects.Currently, JSC fellows are based in Argentina, China, Ethiopia, Germany, India, Israel, Latvia, Rwanda, Russia, Turkey, and Ukraine.
– Most placements begin in late August/early September and run for one full year.
– JSC fellows participate in a mandatory orientation program in August in New York, followed by a Mid-Year Leadership Training Seminar overseas.
– JDC covers round-trip travel expenses, housing, a monthly stipend for basic living expenses, a small end-of-year bonus, and a health insurance package.
– College degree or equivalent and proven academic achievement
– Strong leadership and communication skills and an interest in global Jewish affairs and public service
– Experience in formal/informal education or social welfare is a plus
– Knowledge of other languages is valuable in many placements
Application and Selection Process
To be considered for this volunteer opportunity, please submit an application with three recommendations.While you can state a placement preference, it is to your advantage to remain open to various assignments. JDC seeks to specifically match each JSC fellow’s skills and strengths with identified community needs.
Eligible candidates go through a comprehensive screening process, including phone interviews and in-person individual and group interviews with NY and overseas staff.Please contact email@example.com with any questions regarding your application.